When I was in Tuscany in 2010, we made this traditional local soup with the chef at the restaurant in Petrognano. My husband did an excellent job of capturing the recipe through photos. I hope you enjoy this picture journal of the recipe!
- Start by making a vegetable stock using celery, celery carrots and onions.
- Meanwhile, prepare onion, celery and carrot for the mirepoix. Saute mirepoix in olive oil.
- Prepare the vegetables for the soup: pumpkin, potato, kale and garlic. Add to the pan with the mirepoix. Stir in the kale and cook until is wilts down.
- Then add pureed beans. (Soak the beans over night in water in the refrigerator. Prepare as directed. Insert a sprig of thyme for added flavor. Puree a portion of the beans, reserving the remainder to add whole to the soup.
- Add bean and 1 1/2 large cans of tomatoes that have been pureed. Add vegetable broth. Stir gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture for two hours or until the vegetables are tender.